Skip to main content

Choosing between the CNESST and another compensation plan

Workers who have a work accident or contract an occupational disease outside Québec may choose to be compensated by the CNESST or by another organization that administers a compensation plan. In this context, one of the following 3 situations must apply to you at the time of the event:

  • you are domiciled outside Québec
  • your work accident occurred or your occupational disease was contracted outside Québec (e.g., a worker domiciled in Québec who is employed by a Québec company has a work accident while working in Ontario)
  • you were exposed to contaminants or materials outside Québec that caused an occupational disease

Since you cannot be compensated by more than one organization, you will have to make a choice and inform us.

Which compensation plan should I choose?

Before making your choice, you should consult the list of benefits and reimbursements you would be entitled to with the CNESST. It is important to compare this with what you would be entitled to under the other organization’s plan.

Once you have made your decision, you will have to confirm your choice by completing the “Option en vertu de la Loi sur les accidents du travail et les maladies professionnelles” form. The form must be signed and sent to us no later than 6 months after the date of the work accident or the date a physician informed you that you had an occupational disease.

We will examine your claim once we have received the completed and signed form. If you choose to be compensated by another organization, the CNESST will render a decision of refusal and you will be able to submit a claim to the organization you have chosen.

If you do not inform the CNESST of your choice after the 6-month period, we will conclude that you are waiving the benefits provided under the Loi sur les accidents du travail et les maladies professionnelles.

Laws and regulations

Help us improve our website

Was the information on this page helpful to you?
We will use your comments to improve the information.
Avoid entering personal or file-related information. Please note that you will not receive a reply.
Any questions about a file? Use our online inquiry service.  
Would you like to file a complaint? Consult our Complaints and recourses section.