Skip to main content

What it means to be a first aider in the workplace

Obligation to provide assistance

As a first aider in the workplace, you will be responsible for providing assistance to workers whose life is in danger in your workplace. It will be your duty to administer first aid.

How do you become a first aider

Once you have told your employer that you are interested in becoming a first aider, they will register you for a first aid course. Once you have completed the 16-hour course, you will be issued an occupational first aid certificate provided you pass the assessment.  

After the course, participants should be able to: 

  • follow safety rules and protective measures 
  • assess the situation 
  • assess the person’s clinical condition and recognize their signs and symptoms 
  • follow resuscitation protocols and specific protocols for the person’s health problem 
  • understand the consequences of their actions 

Your first aid certificate is valid for 3 years. After 3 years, you will have to take the course again to renew your certificate. 

Register of Accidents, Incidents and First Aid 

You are responsible for filling out the Register of Accidents, Incidents and First Aid. Every time you provide assistance to someone, you must enter all the relevant information, such as your name, the injured worker’s name, the date and the time. 

Keep your knowledge up to date

While your certificate is valid, we provide a number of tools for first aiders who would like to keep their knowledge up to date: 

Use of specialized equipment

You may not use specialized equipment such as oxygen. Your employer must ensure that you have been trained in the use of any specialized equipment provided.

Laws and regulations

Help us improve our website

Was the information on this page helpful to you?
We will use your comments to improve the information.
Avoid entering personal or file-related information. Please note that you will not receive a reply.
Any questions about a file? Use our online inquiry service.  
Would you like to file a complaint? Consult our Complaints and recourses section.