Skip to main content

What should you do if there is a work accident in your company?

As an employer, you have an important role to play in supporting your workers when they have a work accident or an occupational disease.

Here’s what you must do:

1. Provide first aid

You have an obligation to provide first aid to the worker immediately if they are injured at work. If necessary, you must arrange for the worker to be transported from the workplace to a hospital at your expense. Depending on where the accident occurred, you may then be reimbursed for these costs.

2. Record the event in the Register of Accidents, Incidents and First Aid

The work accident must be recorded in the Register of Accidents, Incidents and First Aid. To prevent accidents, it is strongly recommended that incidents also be recorded even if there were no injuries.

Inform the CNESST as soon as possible in the following cases:

  • the worker suffered a major trauma (for example, loss of a limb)
  • several workers were injured and have to take time off work
  • the accident caused property damage of $178 785 or more
  • the accident resulted in the worker’s death

3. Pay for their absence on the day of the accident

If one of your workers is injured at work and is unable to work for the rest of the day, you must pay them 100% of their wages for that day's absence.

4. File your reimbursement claim

If the worker is absent for 14 days or less, you must pay them 90% of their net wages for the days they would normally have worked, not including the day of the accident. This amount is reimbursed by CNESST.

If the worker has to be absent for more than 14 days, the CNESST will pay them an income replacement indemnity to which they are entitled from the 15th day of absence. There may be exceptions depending on the collective agreement signed by your staff members.

5. Follow up with the worker

Help the worker complete the Worker's claim form. The worker must give you a copy of the completed and signed form.

The worker is free to be treated and followed by the physician of their choice. You may designate a physician who will have access to your worker's medical record and require that they be examined by this physician. In this case, you are responsible for paying the consultation fee, the cost of transportation and any other eligible expenses.

If the physician is of the opinion that the worker can return to work even if their injury has not healed or stabilized, you must assign them to temporary work until they are able to return to their regular job.

Laws and regulations

Aidez-nous à améliorer notre site Web

Was the information on this page helpful to you?
Évitez d’inscrire vos coordonnées personnelles puisque que vous ne recevrez aucune réponse.